Pleasant Hill R-III School District encompasses approximately 75 square miles. During inclement weather, road conditions can vary extensively from one area to another. The decision to cancel, delay, or dismiss early is based on current road conditions and weather forecasts.
- The decision to cancel or delay the opening of school will be made as close to 5:30 am as possible to allow time for notification prior to students preparing for the school day.
- The District may delay school by two hours when it appears transportation conditions will improve after the more congested traffic has passed. If school is delayed by 2 hours for weather, a breakfast cart will be available for the Primary, Elementary, Intermediate and Middle Schools. A normal lunch and school closing times will be used.
- Early dismissals are normally a two or three hour early release and every effort will be made to make that decision as soon as possible to inform parents.
Please have contingency plans developed with your children in advance. It is especially important to have plans in place for younger children when school is dismissed early. In the event a parent is not or cannot be home, arrangements should be made for the child to stay with a friend or relative.
- Allowances for potential bus delays should be part of the planning process.
- Young inexperienced drivers are encouraged to use parent or school provided transportation when road conditions are less than ideal.
- Parents should encourage their children to dress for protection against prolonged exposure to the weather as a safety precaution.
As soon as a decision is made that changes the regular school day, the District will contact the TV stations. All families and staff members will also be notified immediately with a phone message. Parents are urged to provide schools with updated phone numbers or contact information that change throughout the year. School closing information will not appear on the district website but is normally posted on the district’s Facebook page.
The decision to cancel school is always a difficult one. The safety of students and faculty is the primary concern when making such decisions. We fully understand parents are in the best position to determine the safety of their children based on nearby conditions.
Cancellations are ordinarily added to the end of the school year, while early dismissals or late starts are not required to be made up.